How do I enrol?

Call the Centre Support Team on 01708 434955 to be guided through your enrolment.

If you are applying for a course that requires Information Advice & Guidance (IAG) or you are claiming concessions you will be asked to enrol in person, our advisors will discuss what to bring and an appropriate time.

When does enrolment close?

This can be dependent on the type of course you wish to enrol onto. In all cases once the maximum number has been reached we cannot accept any more enrolments.

If the course is subject to Information, Advice & Guidance (IAG) you must attend this appointment first, and therefore enrolment will close once these appointments have been filled.

For Level 3 and above courses enrolment will close one month before the start date to allow learners to apply for the 24+ advanced learning loan if they wish.

If the course doesn’t require Information, Advice & Guidance, and places are available, in most cases you may be able to enrol up until days before the course.

If the course is already full the college will inform you of any future dates, and you are welcome to leave your contact details with us so we can inform you when another course is due to start.

What identification will be required?

Havering Adult College course fees are subsidised and therefore we must follow government guidelines for confirming identification. We are required to see two forms of ID.

Photo ID

  • Current Passport
  • Current Photo Driving Licence
  • Workplace Photo ID Card
  • Freedom Pass
  • Travel Card ID

Proof of Address

  • Council Tax Bill
  • Utility Bill
  • Mobile Phone Bill
  • Bank / Building Society Statement

This identification must be seen before starting the first session of your course. You are welcome to bring this ID into our Bower Park or Brittons Centres at any time during our opening hours. However, if it is left until the first session and you do not bring this with you the college holds the right to turn you away.

Will I need to show ID for future enrolments?

The college is required to see identification every academic year. Therefore for any additional courses you enrol onto during the same academic year you will not be asked to show ID.

What age groups does Havering Adult College accommodate?

Havering Adult College courses are for adults aged 19+. There is no upper age limit! In some cases we can accommodate 16-18 year olds, however as this age group receive education funding elsewhere the fees would be double the amount stated in the prospectus.

Alongside the Europa Centre we now offer language courses for 4-10 year olds, and GCSE support classes for Year 10 & Year 11 pupils.

Are there any additional requirements for enrolling onto a fitness course?

Before enrolment can start for a fitness course we must discuss your health history to ensure you can partake without any health risks. If you do have an underlying health issue, or you are aged 80+, you will be required to bring in a doctor’s letter confirming you are fit enough to participate.

If you decide to continue onto another academic year this information will be requested again.




How can I make a payment?

We can accept payment by cash or cheque in our Bower Park or Brittons Centres. Credit or Debit Card payment can be taken over the phone or in person. Paying by Credit Card does incur a 1.5% surcharge.

Am I entitled to a concessionary fee?

If you are aged 60+ you are entitled to the 60+ concession.

If you are unemployed, seeking work and in receipt of an active work-related benefit you are entitled to the concessionary fee on accredited and non-accredited courses.

If you are in receipt of an active work-related benefit you are entitled to the concession on non-accredited courses.

Evidence, dated within 6 months, must be seen before the reduced fee can be taken.


Is there a payment option if I cannot pay the full fee up front?

Instalments are available on courses with fees of £150 or more. A 10% surcharge applies when taking out this option. The initial payment will be made to the college to secure your place; the following payments (the number of which is dependent on the length of your course) will be taken via direct debit. The Council will write to you to arrange setting this up.

If you are enrolling onto a Level 3 course or above you may be able to apply for a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan. Find out more information on this option on the gov.uk website.




If I decide to withdraw from my course, am I entitled to a refund?

There is no entitlement to a refund. In exceptional circumstances a credit note may be issued.

If my course is cancelled or closed am I entitled to a refund?

The college will offer a suitable alternative, but if this is not possible a refund will be given.



Information, Advice & Guidance

What is an IAG?

IAG (Information, Advice and Guidance) is an appointment with one of the course teachers where you can discuss the course, ask questions and ensure it is the right one for you. This will include a short assessment and you will be asked questions to ensure you are suitable for the course.

Do I need to attend an IAG?

If the course is accredited and for certain other courses you will be required to attend an appointment before you can enrol.

Do I need to bring anything to an IAG?

If you intend on enrolling after your appointment please bring along your two forms of ID, listed above. Nothing else is required unless specified by the team.

Can I bring my children to my IAG appointment?

As you are required to sit an assessment and meet the teacher it isn’t appropriate for children to attend, unless you are breast feeding. This is in accordance with our Health & Safety and Safeguarding policies.




I have a disability / learning difficulty, can the college support me?

Support is available to our learners. On enrolment you will be asked if you have a disability, health or any other learning needs that we should be aware of. A member of the inclusive learning team will then be in contact with you to identify what support you require and how we can assist you.

If you decide following enrolment that you wish to make a declaration please contact the Inclusion Manager on 01708 433792 or email Brenda.Hunt@havering.gov.uk



Accredited Courses

I’ve studied this subject before / I know I want to do this course; do I need to attend the Introduction course?

The Introduction course is the first few weeks of the course and includes required information for continuing; therefore completing the Introduction is a condition for enrolling onto the full course.




Can I sit a GCSE exam with you, even though I’m not on your course?

We do not allow people to sit GCSE exams without attending the GCSE course with us.

How much are examination fees?

The college subsidises the examination and assessment fees by making a contribution towards the cost.

Can I re-sit my exam?

If it is necessary for you to re-sit all or part of your exam, you will be required to pay for this as your fees only cover your first attempt. This cost will be discussed with you as it varies between courses.


Your question not answered?

Please call the Centre Support Team on 01708 434955 or email enquiries-adultcollege@havering.gov.uk to get your question answered.


Bower Park Centre
472 Havering Road
Essex RM1 4HR
Phone : 01708 434 955

Email : enquiries-adultcollege@havering.gov.uk
Url : www.haveringadultcollege.co.uk


Enrolment Times (excluding Bank Holidays)

Monday - Thursday 9:00am - 9:00pm (excludes Wednesday evening at Brittons Centre)

Friday 9:00am - 3:30pm Places are limited so enrol early to avoid disappointment.

2015 Havering Adult College. All Rights Reserved.

Web Development by : www.designdirectuk.com